This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Please click here to accept them.cookie information page
More On
Members' login

Become a Chartered Engineer, Incorporated Engineer or Engineering Technician


Members of the IOR can apply for registration with the Engineering Council (ECUK) to become a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech) provided that they meet the criteria of ECUK.

Engineering Council registration gives you national recognition of your skills and status in Engineering and designatory letters after your name. Find out more here

IOR member applications are dealt with by CIBSE under a joint registration arrangement.  In the first instance we recommend that anyone applying for CEng or IEng who is uncertain whether their Degree is recognised fill out a Qualifications Assessment Form. You will then get specific advice on the right type of application and grade for you.

Even those without the recognised qualifications can still gain CEng, IEng or EngTech provided they can demonstrate the necessary competencies through a Techncial Report or Experience Route.  

Help with getting your application started


More information on different grades of Registration available for IOR members

1-Engineering Technician (EngTech)

  • Evidence of their contribution to either the design, development, manufacture, commissioning, decommissioning, operation or maintenance of products, equipment, processes or services
  • Supervisory or technical responsibility
  • Effective interpersonal skills in communicating technical matters
  • Commitment to professional engineering values.

2-Incorporated Engineer (IEng)

Incorporated Engineers (IEng) maintain and manage applications of current and developing technology, and may undertake engineering design, development, manufacture, construction and operation.

If you have suitable qualifications you can apply using the forms below:

If you do have suitable qualifications you must follow an alternative route and can down special forms below:

3-Chartered Engineer (CEng)

If you have suitable qualifications you can apply using the forms below:

If you do not hold suitable qualifications you may consider the Technical Report route which allows you to produce written evidence of your experience in lieu of formal qualifications. There is a different application procedure and you should print off, fill in and submit a special review form before you start completing your application.  The review form is headed CIBSE but you should note on this that you are applying as an IOR Member and including your IOR membership number. You do not need to join CIBSE to follow this route.

Note on recognition of qualifications

The Engineering Council only recognises specific qualifications below. If you do not hold the relevant qualifications you will need to produce evidence of your competence against the requirements of that grade of membership through a technical report or experiential evidencee. The list of recognised qualifications is shown below:    

Registration Fees & Costs

Please see below for details of current application fees, assessments costs and renewal fees. You do not need to be a member of CIBSE or pay CIBSE membership fees provided you are an IOR member.