How to become a Fellow
What sort of person can become a Fellow of the IOR?
Fellows of the IOR are recognized as leaders in the Industry with a strong commitment to their own development and to the promotion of the science and practice of refrigeration in all its applications. They are individuals who can demonstrate a long term involvement in the Sector, holding a senior level in a position of special responsibility and have shared their expertise outside the immediate requirements of their paid work for the betterment of the industry.
The Membership Committee considers candidates for Fellowship by assessing each application individually on the basis of:
1. Length of Membership of the IOR and involvement in IOR activities (minimum of 10 years)
2. Special responsibilities or leadership taken in their work over the past 15 years
3. Commitment and involvement to the sector outside of their immediate work responsibilities
4. Endorsement of their status by two existing IOR Members or Fellows.
IOR Constitution definition of Fellow Grade
• A Fellow shall be a person who has been engaged for not less than 5 years in a position of special responsibility or leadership in refrigeration or an allied field and has obtained a degree or equivalent qualification from a recognised university, college or institute of learning in a subject approved by the Council.
• Has been engaged for not less than 10 years in a position of responsibility or leadership in refrigeration or an allied field of which not less than 5 years has been in a position of special responsibility or leadership and has obtained a Business and Technician Education Council Diploma or equivalent qualification from a recognised institute of learning in a subject approved by the Council.
• Has been engaged for not less than 15 years in a position of responsibility or leadership in refrigeration or an allied field of which not less than 5 years has been in a position of special responsibility or leadership.
Fellows should be able to demonstrate the following
• Considerable theoretical knowledge and ideally, a good level of practical experience.
• Where an applicant has not obtained the necessary technical qualifications they must demonstrate that acceptable experience at management level has been gained in industry, commerce or education.
• In general, the applicant would be expected to hold an appointment that is first tier in the organisation, in an organisation of reasonable size or which undertakes contracts of a substantial nature. In general functions such as Chief Executive, Chief Designer, Director of Research, Chief Sales Engineer, Chief Plant Engineer, Managing Director, Principal Lecturer, Senior Executive, illustrate the level of appointment that is envisaged.
• A high level of knowledge, experience in technical, managerial, commercial or educational responsibility.
• Would normally be expected to have been a Member of the IOR for approximately 10 years.
• Demonstrate how they have contributed to the advancement of refrigeration or to the objectives of the Institute outside normal commercial activities. Service to the Institute or to the Branches of the Institute will carry the most weight in this evaluation.
How do you apply to become a Fellow?
The Membership Committee from time to time invites suitable Members to apply for Fellowship. However Members who feel that their experience and responsibilities meet the above criteria can apply by sending a statement detailing their experience, responsibilities and qualifications to the Membership Committee for consideration. It must also include information about their contribution to the industry beyond their immediate work responsibilities.
The application must include the names and email contact details of two individuals prepared to sponsor their application - these must be Fellows or Members and at least one of these should be a Fellow. The IOR will approach these individuals for endorsement or references directly.
Applications for Fellow and any supporting documents should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org You can contact the Membership Secretary on 0208 647 7033 to discuss your application.