Become a Chartered Engineer, Incorporated Engineer or Engineering Tecnician


The Engineering Council regulates the Engineering Profession in the UK. Members of the IOR can apply for registration with the Engineering Council (ECUK) to become a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech) provided that they meet the criteria of ECUK. Engineering Council registration gives you national recognition of your skills and status in Engineering and designatory letters after your name. Find out more about the role of the Engineering Council here

IOR member applications are dealt with by CIBSE under a joint registration arrangement.  You will need to identify a sponsor who is familiar both with your work and with the Engineering Council competence criteria before you start your application. This person must have known you for some time before your application is submitted. If you do not know a suitable person please contact the IOR and we can allocate you to a sponsor to help you complete your application.


Application procedure

There are two application routes - Standard for those with recognised qualifications and Alternative for those who need to write a report as evidence of competence instead. In the first instance we recommend that anyone applying for CEng or IEng who is uncertain whether their Degree is recognised fill out a Qualifications Assessment Form. You will then get specific advice on the right type of application and grade for you.  


Grades of Registration available to IOR members


Engineering Technician (EngTech)


You could become a registered Engineering Technician if you can provide evidence of your contribution to either the design, development, manufacture, commissioning, decommissioning, operation or maintenance of products, equipment, processes or services.  You will need to demonstrate some supervisory or technical responsibility, effective interpersonal skills in communicating technical matters and commitment to professional engineering values. Applicants need to provide a Work Experience and Development report as well as completing the application form below.


Incorporated Engineer (IEng)


Incorporated Engineers (IEng) maintain and manage applications of current and developing technology, and may undertake engineering design, development, manufacture, construction and operation.  Those with recognised qualifications should follow the application route below:


Chartered Engineer (CEng)

If you have suitable qualifications you can apply using the forms below:


Recognition of qualifications

The Engineering Council only recognises specific qualifications below. If you do not hold the relevant qualifications you will need to produce evidence of your competence against the requirements of that grade of membership through a technical report or experiential evidence. The list of recognised qualifications can be searched shown below:    


Registration Fees & Costs

Please see below for details of current application fees, assessments costs and renewal fees. You do not need to be a member of CIBSE or pay CIBSE membership fees provided you are an IOR member.


Submitting your application form

Completed forms must be sent to the IOR at 


Institute of Refrigeration  
Kelvin House, 76 Mill Lane  
Carshalton Surrey SM5 2JR 
United Kingdom 

+44 (0)208 6477033