Become a Chartered Engineer, Incorporated Engineer or Engineering Technician


The Engineering Council regulates the Engineering Profession in the UK. Members of the IOR can apply for registration with the Engineering Council (ECUK) to become a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech) provided that they meet the criteria of ECUK. Engineering Council registration gives you national recognition of your skills and status in Engineering and designatory letters after your name. Find out more about the role of the Engineering Council here

The Engineering Council provides:

IOR member applications are dealt with by CIBSE under a joint registration arrangement.  You will need to identify a sponsor who is familiar both with your work and with the Engineering Council competence criteria before you start your application. This person must have known you for some time before your application is submitted. If you do not know a suitable person please contact the IOR and we can allocate you to a sponsor to help you complete your application.Registered engineering professionals are required to demonstrate a personal and professional commitment to society, to the environment and to their profession. As part of demonstrating overall competence, it is mandatory to show that they have adopted a set of values and conduct that maintains and enhances
the reputation of the profession. This includes:

  • Maintaining public and employee safety
  • Undertaking work in a way that protects the environment and contributes to sustainable development
  • Complying with codes of conduct, codes of practice and the legal and regulatory framework
  • Managing, applying and improving safe systems of work 
  • Carrying out the CPD necessary to maintain and enhance competence in relation to duties and responsibilities
  • Exercising responsibilities in an ethical manner
  • Recognising inclusivity and diversity
  • Adopting a security-minded approach 
  • Actively participating within the profession

The Engineering Council has published a CPD Code for Registrants, as well as guidance on risk, sustainability, whistleblowing and security. 


Why should you become registered? Watch this Engineering Council video about the benefits of registration below.






Application procedure

There are two application routes - Standard for those with recognised qualifications and Alternative for those who need to write a report as evidence of competence instead. In the first instance we recommend that anyone applying for CEng or IEng who is uncertain whether their Degree is recognised fill out a Qualifications Assessment Form. You will then get specific advice on the right type of application and grade for you.  


Questions and Guidance

Come along to our regular Registration Network meetings held on line to talk with other members who have recently achieved CEng or IEng and find a supporter. The meetings are advertised regularly in the monthly eshot and you can sign up for the next one in our Events Diary.


Registration Fees & Costs

Please see below for details of current application fees, assessments costs and renewal fees. You do not need to be a member of CIBSE or pay CIBSE membership fees provided you are an IOR member.


Start your On Line Application Process here

Use this link to start your application.  This will redirect you to the CIBSE website, as the CIBSE membership team manage our registration applications and submit these to the Engineering Council on behalf of the IOR.  The page has lots of information about how to prepare your application.  Make sure you use the CIBSE / IOR link to start the Engineering Council registration process and not the CIBSE membership application links to join CIBSE. You will need to have your IOR membership number available. 


Grades of Registration available to IOR members

The most comprehensive information about registration is included in the UK-SPEC 

  • Engineering Technician (EngTech)

Engineering Technicians contribute to the design, development, manufacture, commissioning, decommissioning, operation or maintenance of refrigeration and air conditioning products, equipment, processes or services.  They have either supervisory or technical responsibility, effective interpersonal skills in communicating technical matters and commitment to professional engineering values.

  • Incorporated Engineer (IEng)

Incorporated Engineers (IEng) maintain and manage refrigeration and air conditioning applications which use current and developing technology. They may also undertake engineering design, development, manufacture, construction and operation.   

  • Chartered Engineer (CEng)

Chartered Engineers (CEng) develop appropriate solutions to engineering problems, using new or existing technologies, through innovation, creativity and change.  They promote advanced designs and design methods, introduce new and more efficient production techniques, marketing and construction concepts and pioneer new engineering services and management methods. 


Recognition of qualifications

The Engineering Council only recognises specific qualifications - please use the link below to check if your Degree is acceptable. If you do not hold the relevant qualifications you will need to produce evidence of your competence against the requirements of that grade of membership through a technical report or experiential evidence. The list of recognised qualifications can be searched shown below: