Engineering Technician (EngTech)icon education


You could become a registered Engineering Technician if you can provide evidence of your contribution to either the design, development, manufacture, commissioning, decommissioning, operation or maintenance of products, equipment, processes or services.  You will need to demonstrate some supervisory or technical responsibility, effective interpersonal skills in communicating technical matters and commitment to professional engineering values. Applicants need to provide a Work Experience and Development report as well as completing the application form below.

  • Note: Qualifications must be an approved level 3 NVQ or SVQ in an engineering discipline (such as refrigeration and air conditioning); an approved qualification in engineering or construction at level 6 in the Scottish Qualifications and Credit Framework; City & Guilds Higher Professional Diploma in engineering.; Advanced/Modern Apprenticeship or other work based learning programme approved by a licensed professional engineering institution;  International agreement (Dublin Accord) overseas qualifications.  See note at the bottom of the page on Recognition of Qualifications. Individually assessed qualifications in similar areas may be accepted - please see section on recognition of qualifications or complete a Qualifications Assessment Form if you require further advice. 
  • Criteria for competency 
  • Application form (standard route - for those with qualifications) 
  • Sample work experience reports (published on CIBSE website)


Recognition of qualifications

The Engineering Council only recognises specific qualifications below. If you do not hold the relevant qualifications you will need to produce evidence of your competence against the requirements of that grade of membership through a technical report or experiential evidence. The list of recognised qualifications can be searched shown below:    


Registration Fees & Costs

Please see below for details of current application fees, assessments costs and renewal fees. You do not need to be a member of CIBSE or pay CIBSE membership fees provided you are an IOR member.


Submitting your application form

Completed forms must be sent to the IOR at