Becoming an Incorporated Engineer


icon education

Incorporated Engineers (IEng) maintain and manage applications of current and developing technology, and may undertake engineering design, development, manufacture, construction and operation.   If you have suitable qualifications you can apply using the "Standard Route", if not you may still be able to apply by the"Alternative Route" which involves submitting an additional Technical Report showing that you are working at a suitable level. 

  • Note: Qualifications must either be accredited or subject to an international recognition agreement. Exemplifying qualifications include a Bachelors or honours degree in engineering or technology; an accredited HNC (8 level H units) or HND in engineering or technology (for programmes started before Sept 1999);  a HNC (8 level H units) or HND started after 1999 (but before Sept 2010 in the case of the HNC) or a foundation degree in engineering or technology, plus appropriate further learning to degree level;  an NVQ4 or SVQ4 which has been approved for the purpose by a licenced professional
    engineering institution, plus appropriate further learning to a degree level;  European qualifications recognised under FEANI; International agreement (Sydney Accord) overseas qualifications. Individually assessed qualifications in similar areas may be accepted -See note at the bottom of the page on Recognition of Qualifications or complete a Qualifications Assessment Form if you require further advice. 
  • Criteria for competency (IEng)
  • Qualifications assessment form (to confirm your qualifications meet the Engineering Council requirements)
  • Application Form (standard route - for those with qualifications) 


Recognition of qualifications

The Engineering Council only recognises specific qualifications below. If you do not hold the relevant qualifications you will need to produce evidence of your competence against the requirements of that grade of membership through a technical report or experiential evidence. The list of recognised qualifications can be searched shown below:    


Registration Fees & Costs

Please see below for details of current application fees, assessments costs and renewal fees. You do not need to be a member of CIBSE or pay CIBSE membership fees provided you are an IOR member.


Submitting your application form

Completed forms must be sent to the IOR at